[RE-wrenches] Aluminum conduit LBs

Marco Mangelsdorf marco at pvthawaii.com
Sat Aug 14 09:47:37 PDT 2010

The lesson was that even if, say, for a 2 ½ “ conduit says three 350 MCMs
are OK, that doesn’t mean that a 2 ½” LB I was planning on using is rated
for three 350s.

For the first time ever I saw printed in the LB itself the specified max
conduct size, in this case 4/0 for a 2 ½” LB.

So for this short conduit run I upsized everything to 3”.

I looked at the Thomas and Betts spec sheet kindly supplied by Ratico on
their LB offerings and there was no notation of max conductor sizes that I
could find.

marco

Marco,

I'm curious to know what you did after the "hard" lesson. Was it an issue of
difficult/impossible installation, or an AHJ issue? It seems like the most
straightforward solution in a situation like this is to replace your conduit
bodies (LBs in this case) with a larger size, and then install reducers in
order to leave the existing conduit runs intact. I'm looking at an upcoming
installation where I would like to use 1-1/4" EMT, but will need 1-1/2"
conduit bodies to be ok with wire fill.

-Hans

  _____