[RE-wrenches] The Genie Lens

Peter Parrish peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Thu Aug 12 09:16:52 PDT 2010

Anybody know anything about these claims?

SolOptics, the solar division of Genie Lens, has created a new lens design
that improves solar PV performance by 12.5 percent. The new thin-film design
can be applied to any PV module, just like a sticker. The new design is
created by the company's ray tracing software that embosses microstructures
onto thin polymer film. That film can then be applied to solar panels much
like tinting film can be applied to a window. In testing, the
microstructures in the lens improved PV efficiency by 10 to 12.5 percent.

I think the claim of a "lens" is complete hogwash. As for being an
anti-reflective coating, that might work, but reliability would be my
concern (UV, heat, moisture). Think how many tinted car windows you have
seen with blisters all over them?

I am posting this for a client who is a really dedicated solar enthusiast
and occasionally emails me with questions about solar technology.

- Peter

Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D., President
California Solar Engineering, Inc.
820 Cynthia Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90065
CA Lic. 854779, NABCEP Cert. 031806-26
peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Ph 323-258-8883, Mobile 323-839-6108, Fax 323-258-8885