[RE-wrenches] White Paper on on the affects of a "snow, melt, refreeze process" (no pun intended)

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Thu Aug 5 14:06:26 PDT 2010

I'd say that at this point, with all the old solar systems, flat roofs, and snow we get in New Mexico and Colorado, that if it hasn't been a problem, it won't be a problem.
It definitely is not going to lift the panels; worst case is that it could build up and get past flashings, which is a problem on flat roofs whether they have solar or not.
I've seen this most with roofs with parapets: the snow in the shade of the parapets builds up and gets higher than the corner flashings, starting a leak.
Obviously solar won't be installed in these shaded areas, so I think its fair to say the solar is not going to make anything worse, and it might actually help a little.

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer