[RE-wrenches] USE-2 in white?

Peter Parrish peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Mon Aug 2 10:36:58 PDT 2010

I think we should be careful in two respects:

(1) We have found “black with white stripe” for #10 USE-2. Since we have not
had a use for anything larger than #10, I don’t know if black with a white
stripe is available for larger gauges. It seems intuitive that “black with a
white stripe” should have superior sunlight resistance than “all white”.

(2) The wire with red insulation might actually be “XLP or CPE” wire, rated
USE-2. The “XLP/CLP” is a polyethylene-based not a rubber-based compound.

One thing I like about the XLP/CPE is that it is slicker than cat shit (and
with a smaller OD for same wire gauge), much easier to pull in conduit even
for the short distances that we typically have between PV modules and the
first j-box.

- Peter

Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D., President
California Solar Engineering, Inc.
820 Cynthia Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90065
CA Lic. 854779, NABCEP Cert. 031806-26
peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Ph 323-258-8883, Mobile 323-839-6108, Fax 323-258-8885