[RE-wrenches] Lightning Protection System

David Brearley david.brearley at solarprofessional.com
Sun Aug 1 08:24:32 PDT 2010

Kelly,

When I came across language like this in an RFP, my assumption was that we
needed to work with a specialty lightning protection subcontractor, a firm
listed by UL. I would call them up, give them a project description and
request a quote, which I would build into our cost estimate for the project.
Included in their scope of work is providing a ³UL Listed Lightning
Protection Certificate.² You can include that scope of work as a line item
in our proposal. If the proposal requires that you include resumes for key
team members, you might also include the lightning company¹s bio as it shows
you¹ve done your due diligence.

On the projects that I managed in this fashion, the lightning protection
company always came in after our construction was substantially complete.
There may be cases where you want to coordinate the that scope of work
differently and get them on site earlier. They should be able to tell you
what will work best, based on the general project description and your
specific equipment grounding scheme.

David Brearley, Senior Technical Editor
SolarPro magazine
NABCEP Certified PV Installer 