[RE-wrenches] calculating DC voltage drop

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Fri Jul 23 06:45:48 PDT 2010

I try to keep it in copper for DC, as I had always heard of trouble with Aluminum on DC. (True or Old Wrenches Tale?)
We definitely go to Al on long AC runs, as its whats available, and the cost difference becomes remarkable.
I've seen small cuts in Al, later corrode completely through the conductor.(AC run) I'm not sure what would happen it were DC.
Probably depend on whether it was positive or negative, and which was bonded to ground? (either accelerate the corrosion, or act as cathodic protection?)

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer