[RE-wrenches] calculating DC voltage drop

Dana dana at solarwork.com
Thu Jul 22 15:24:45 PDT 2010

Ray,

The $ could be making power I agree on a large scale project.

The point here is where is the cutoff point?

Let’s take a very small cabin system:

410 watts or 13 amps  [inc.1.25%]@ 44VOC, over a 90’ one-way run.

Utilizing  and Electro-calc with 2008 NEC installed

2.6%VD – 1.1vd requires a pair #6 Thhn @ $0.66/ft = $118 for 180’wire @ whole sale price.

1.6%VD – 0.7vd requires a pair #4 Thhn @ $0.78/ft = $140 for 180’wire @ whole sale.

0.4%VD – 0.4vd requires a pair #1 Thhn @ $1.55/ft = $279for 180’ wire @ whole sale.

I grant you the cost savings up front, and MPPT covers a lot errors these days, but where do we say what is better?

So my question is-

In MPPT what is .3volt drop worth VS 0.7vd VS 1.1vd worth in MPPT charge capabilities over the life of the system?

Weather it is a utility scale project or a small cabin.

Thanks,  Dana Orzel

Great Solar Works, Inc

E - dana at solarwork.com

V - 970.626.5253

F - 970.626.4140

C - 970.209.4076

web - www.solarwork.com

"Responsible Technologies for Responsible People since 1988"