[RE-wrenches] Outback Charging Method

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Mon Jun 21 14:39:16 PDT 2010

Thanks Jay,

This came up because I was looking at the summary on the Mate during
charging and it showed that one of the stacked slaves had 0.0kw charge
power. Strangely enough, the ac charge current showed 16 AAC. This is how I
got on the subject with tech support. They said that the 0.0 kw charge power
was perfectly normal because the charge controller was trying to reduce the
charge current by drop operation of one of the stacked inverters.

I always figured that the slaved stack would rise and fall in unison to meet
the current demand.

I do have them running at variuos "power save" levels so I suppose it is
possible that entire chargers are being dropped, but I thought that was only
for managing the on/search mode on larger stacks.

I am guessing that this is more a matter of reporting errors in the mate.

Mark Frye
Berkeley Solar Electric Systems
303 Redbud Way
Nevada City,  CA 95959