[RE-wrenches] two VFX3524's and a Franklin 3hp sub pump

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Tue Jun 15 20:44:00 PDT 2010

We've done a few set ups with storage cisterns too. While it definitely takes the load off the inverters, it has some downsides:
1) if the genie goes down, you are out of water, which is worse than being out of electricity.
2) Even the best cisterns filled from a clean water source, get nasty after a while and need regular chlorination to be safe.
Systems with tanks and float switches will fail, not if but when. After a few years, the float hangs up or goes bad, and then either the tank goes dry, or overflows.
I've lived with such a system for almost 10 years (along with mild dysentery), and was glad to convert to a single pump system. Less hassle, and cleaner water (dysentery cleared up amazingly).
Taos realtors do water quality tests on most real estate sales, and guess what? The cisterns were not passing. (chloroform bacteria levels too high)
Since I'm all about safety, I quit putting my name on these potential disease pools, and started converting systems over.
The closer the water system is to normal, the less liability you are assuming.

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer