[RE-wrenches] AC wiring loss on micro-inverters

Nick Soleil nicksoleilsolar at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 11 00:14:58 PDT 2010

Hello wrenches and Marv:
    How many Enphase inverters do you put on a single parallel string?  The Enphase manual allows for up to 15, but I have found that a single string of 15 can have very high voltage rise on the AC wiring.  Up to 1.5% loss just on the Enphase cables, and that does not take into account resistance at the plug connectors or any home-run wiring.
    15 inverters x 190 watts = 2850 watts
    2850 watts / 240 Volts = 11.875 Amps (however at the beginning of the string it is 0 Amps)
    Average Amps on the Enphase cables is 11.875 / 2 = 5.9375 Amps
    length of contacts + internal wiring = ~6'
    Total Enphase cabling length (6' x 15 inverters) = ~90'
    5.9375 Amps @ 240 V running 90' on #14 AWG CU = 1.4% loss
It is pretty hard to design for 1.5% voltage  drop if you have to size for 0% loss on your wiring!  I hope Enphase will increase the size of the wire in their cables soon.  Have you experienced issues with micro-inverters shutting off due to high AC voltages?

 Nick Soleil
Project Manager
Advanced Alternative Energy Solutions, LLC
PO Box 657
Petaluma, CA 94953
Cell:   707-321-2937
Office: 707-789-9537