[RE-wrenches] Unshaded micro-inverter performance

Philip Boutelle philboutelle at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 20:41:58 PDT 2010

Darryl,

I have a handful of eGauges installed in the field, including one at my
house (eGauge68 <http://egauge68.d.egauge.net/>). I can't speak on
comparison to TED, I haven't used it. Today I learned that you can use
eGauge with Google Power Meter, where Google imports the data and acts as
the interface, which would expand functionality/3rd party interaction even
more (although also significantly reduce the resolution from the native
interface). You can also daisy chain eGauge units together to have nearly
endless channel logging, in case 12 isn't enough. There are 3 voltage
inputs, so if you have three phases you use all three, but if you have a
split-phase system you could independently monitor a third voltage.

I really like the eGauge user interface, which is accessible either over the
web or via the local network (the eGauge unit itself is it's own data logger
and web server, it just needs a DHCP internet connection, or something like
that). I find their interface to be one of the most intuitive and easy to
follow, short of Enphase Enlighten. My customers all like it too, and some
use it religiously to track their energy usage and solar production. They
also like the remote access part; tracking energy use from anywhere is
usually pretty important to my customers who want to monitor usage (larger
homes, often secondary residences, so they need more than a local-only
display).

The company is extremely prompt at returning emails and phone calls, always
same day, usually within an hour. Like lots of smaller start-ups, the
support comes from the top; you get emails from the product developer
directly, David Mosberger. If he doesn't have an answer or his product lacks
some functionality, then he'll improve based on your feedback. Plus there
are no recurring fees for the monitoring service, a big plus.

I've used some Dent products from the PG&E Pacific Energy Center tool
rentals and agree with Marv, not the best interface, but you get plenty of
good data.

I'd be curious to hear what anyone else has experienced with eGuage, or if
someone has hands-on direct feedback when compared with a TED.

-Phil
Real Goods Solar