[RE-wrenches] Arc fault questions.

Aladdin Solar cpickard at aladdinsolar.com
Tue Jun 1 09:26:28 PDT 2010

By off-grid inverters do you happen to mean square wave and/or modified sine wave inverters? If so, I have been struggling with a similar issue. I have tried to get both/either Cutler-Hammer AFCI and GFCI devices to work with a Magnum MM1212 AE (modified sine wave) with no luck. All GFCI and AFCI are thoroughly tested against pure sine wave sources by the manufacturer but they generally do not test against the modified sine waveform. The Magnum installation guide lists only three specific GFCI devices that their tests show work with this inverter (Cutler-Hammer is not among them so I'll have to change out my box to accept the specific Leviton or Hubbell device that passed). Schneider/Xantrex also has a document that shows many GFCIs fail to work properly with Xantrex modified sine wave inverters--and a few of them do. http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/1193/DocServe.aspx  Looks like it may also be true that a specific GFCI device may work with one model or manufacturer but not another. I'm not an electronics expert but I imagine the AFCI devices are just as problematic since they are probably all built to pure sine wave specs.

If you were strictly talking about pure sine wave battery based inverters, sorry -- I didn't mean to hijack the topic (but I'd still appreciate any insights)!

Charlie Pickard
Aladdin Solar