[RE-wrenches] recover broken modules

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 27 08:11:49 PDT 2010

Jeff,

You can put another glass front on top of the module to protect the cells and wiring to get a few more years use from the module. My customer got 3 years of use from a broken module in extreme Alaska weather. Other customers had similar luck.

1. Clean with low pressure dry air to remove loose glass and dirt. Be careful with flying glass and avoid damaging cells, interconnects, and bus wires.
2. Inspect and repair backsheet tears.
3. Test to ensure Voc and Isc are within specifications.
4. Wipe front edge of frame with clean, dry cotton cloth.
5. Apply non-acid silicone RTV on front edge of frame.
6. Apply glass cover module and let silicone seal cure for at least 24 hours.

Good luck.
Joel Davidson