[RE-wrenches] Grundfos SQ FLEX AC/DC auto switching

Kirpal Khalsa solarworks at gmail.com
Tue May 25 16:07:09 PDT 2010

Hi All....thanks for the good feedback on this water pumping system.  Many
good ideas....It looks like this is a system which can be done.  I will be
looking for a relay that will have the necessary voltage characteristics
which will have ~200VDC on one side being normally closed and 240VAC on the
other side, normally open.
Mark, Allan.....I am looking at the Grundfos SQFlex Battery Back up system
brochure and it shows a SQFlex system running with a pressure tank in their
example system.  Additionally they brochure goes on to say that "the CU 200
Controller has terminals for a pressure switch, which will control the
pump's on/off  operation via the pressure in the storage tank.  The pressure
switch  should be of a normally open configuration, where the contacts
within the switch are in the open position when the pressure is below the
maximum set-point.  When the pressure in the system rises to the maximum
desired pressure, the contacts will close signaling the pump to shut off."
In researching further it looks like the float terminals in the CU 200
controller are able to be used for either a float switch or pressure switch.

I don't have any experience running a pressure tank in line with the output
of the system but I can't see why as Allan pointed out that it would know
the difference between 40PSI in a pressure tank or an additional 100' of
head.  I think that it is important to recognize the additional head ( due
to the pressure tank) that will be present and to take that into
consideration when sizing the array for the desired amount of gpm
production.
If anyone has any recommendations for a relay or other switch which can
handle 200VDC and 240VAC I would be grateful.....
Cheers,
--
Sunny Regards,
Kirpal Khalsa