[RE-wrenches] Two strings of Different Orientation

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at yahoo.com
Sat May 22 15:25:10 PDT 2010

Marv,

I thought I might catch the attention of a few folks with my "ambient
temperature" comment. It was not a typo. While cell temperature dominates
Vmp, irradiance also has a small impact (less than most people think). Since
there is a counterbalancing effect of temperature and irrandiance in a two
orientation scenario, the only consistent condition is ambient temperature.
This is for the people that make the argument that Vmp can't possibly be the
same for two arrays in two different orientations. For a given cell
temperature, irradiance does not change Vmp much. However, Irradiance does
change cell temperature relative to the ambient. Since both strings are in
the same ambient temperature conditions, that is one way to differentiate
that strings on the same roof will be similar, whereas strings in two
different states will have different operating voltages because the ambient
temperatures are likely to be different. Just a brain teaser-it was fun
teasing your brain.

Bill.