[RE-wrenches] 30-year old PV module

Brian Teitelbaum bteitelbaum at aeesolar.com
Fri May 21 13:27:29 PDT 2010

Nice article, Joel,

I still have 12 ARCO 16-2000 modules powering my off-grid home, and those were made in 1982 in Camarillo, CA. They are wired into series pairs for my 24V system, running through an ancient Trace C-30A controller, still going click & clack after all these years (I have a new C40 in waiting for the inevitable day of death).

I consistently see current in the 14A range at 27V on my E-Meter, which would equal 31.5W each. Not bad for 28-year-old 33W modules. And that's without any temp calcs, but on a mild day.

Some of them are browned a bit (although not nearly as browned as some others that I've seen) while some are still completely white. I don't know why there is a variation in color in the encapsulant.

I have two or three more of them in storage that I've picked up over the years (one for $50 at a garage sale). I really should get them out in the sun.

I know...I know... but the house painter's house needs paint, and the cobbler needs shoes, and all that. When Robin and boB get their Classic controller out, I plan to add six SolarWorld 230's to my system. That will almost quadruple my array power output. And then maybe I can get rid of my 1942 Servel fridge. But you'll never pry me away from my late 30's six-burner, dual-oven Wedgewood gas stove.

Brian Teitelbaum
AEE Solar