[RE-wrenches] Enphase performance

Dana Brandt dana at ecotechenergy.com
Mon May 10 11:27:37 PDT 2010

I've been concerned about pairing higher wattage modules (~230W) with the
190W Enphase fearing a lot of clipping and power loss when the modules are
at full power.

I did some modeling of this setup in PVSYST and found that the expected loss
from the inverter being underpowered is 0 - 0.2% annually depending on the
assumptions. The modeling was for northwestern Washington State. A fifth of
a percent seems pretty negligible to me and is easily offset by removing
module mismatch from the equation. So, I'm convinced that matching modules
in the 230W range with the 190W Enphase inverters is a good design.

I recently installed 4kW of 230s with the Enphase 190s and have seen their
output as high as 199W.

Dana

Dana Brandt
Ecotech Energy Systems, LLC