[RE-wrenches] Enphase performance

Mark Westbrock westbrock at positiveenergysolar.com
Fri May 7 10:33:21 PDT 2010

The over-reporting of energy that Randy refers to below was much higher
than any discrepancy based on monitoring resolution.  We have a
pyranometer at the site, and Enphase reported energy production as high
as 38% higher that predicted from irradiance data, as well as 38% higher
than the string inverter portion of the same system.  Individual
microinverters showed instantaneous power output as high as 285 W from a
nominal 190 W unit.

Enphase explained that there was a software glitch that was resulting in
"double counting".  It took them over two months to correct this issue,
time which is lost from our experimental comparison of string vs.
microinverter.  They indicated that this seemed to be an isolated
situation, but I wonder how many Enphase customers are reporting
miraculous performance from their system without verifying via another
meter.

Screen shot of a day's power production of 22 M190 microinverters
(nominal 4180 watts AC):

Mark

Mark Westbrock
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer
NM ER-1J Journeyman Electrician
Positive Energy, Inc.
office: 575-524-2030
cell: 575-640-2432
westbrock at positiveenergysolar.com
www.positiveenergysolar.com

We definitely experienced an overstatement.

We have a client who installed 5kW on a string inverter and 5kW on
enphase and it is that side-by-side comparison that enabled us to
positively identify a problem. There was a significant overstatement of
output. We finally got a Enphase person who told us it was a software
glitch. The problem appears to be fixed.  They explained to us that our
problem was isolated without giving us a detailed explanation of what
happened.  Since that problem was fixed, we have seen no difference in
output between a string inverter and enphase.

Randy