[RE-wrenches] FW: Enphase performance

Peter Parrish peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Fri May 7 09:14:49 PDT 2010

All meters are analog at the point of measurement, because the signals that
are being measured are analog. What makes a meter "digital" is the
conversion of the original analog data to digital format and downstream data
manipulation. Therefore I doubt digital meters are fundamentally more or
less accurate than analog.

There is one point I would like to make: we have not used the GE I70S, the
electromechanical (100% analog) meter with pointers, for several years now.
We were told by a Southern California Edison engineer that they were not
reliable (i.e. stopped working) and they were less accurate than +/-5%. Sure
enough within a month the meter in question stopped worked and required a
"rap" on the bezel to start working again, only to freeze up again in a few
days. I remember two others that stopped working (one perhaps never worked).
We got these puppies from Austin International in SC. We use the Itron
Centron C1S and have been happy ever since.

- Peter
Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D., President
California Solar Engineering, Inc.
820 Cynthia Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90065
CA Lic. 854779, NABCEP Cert. 031806-26
peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Ph 323-258-8883, Mobile 323-839-6108, Fax 323-258-8885

  _____