[RE-wrenches] Solarex module match question

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Thu Apr 29 13:44:34 PDT 2010

HI Allan

I would strongly encourage separate MPPT controllers for the different module types. Even if you get an acceptable voltage match under some conditions, it will never be optimal for all conditions.
I'd even consider using the venerable C40 with the old modules, as they have less to gain from MPPT. I was recently disappointed to see a 10 yr old array show almost no benefit from being put onto an MPPT controller (MX60 @ 100v vs. C40 @ 24v) . Likewise, I would expect very little benefit in your case with the aging poly Solarex modules.

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer