[RE-wrenches] Roof anchors and proper rigging

Rebecca Lundberg Rebecca.Lundberg at powerfullygreen.com
Fri Apr 23 17:51:13 PDT 2010

Glenn and Phil,

You make some very good clarification points, thanks! 'Caulk' was the wrong
term, obviously. But I was shown some clear caulk-like roof-cement(ish)
product by an expert roofer recently that is labeled for specific use on
asphalt shingle, so even on a light colored roof there is an appropriate
(fill in the blank) material to cover the roof anchor holes, no need to
think using roof anchors is a problem just because we need to attach them.

Glenn, you are absolutely correct and I should have been more clear -- my
intention was not to say climbing gear was appropriate or preferable to
OSHA-approved roof gear, only that my experience with climbing gear in
fixed-ropes scenarios has proved invaluable to me on the roof, as I use
those same skills with OSHA-approved gear. I was surprised one time when I
had an employee with me on a site assessment, and we were discussing what
was a safe way for me to get on the roof. He proposed having me get out on a
deck on the east side of the house, attaching to the rope belay, and then
'scooting' over to the south side of the roof. He did not have the faintest
idea of how the rope worked as it lay over the roof peak and he belayed on
the north side of the house. I couldn't convince him that there would be no
anchor for the rope if I pulled it over to the east side, so when putting my
body weight on it to 'scootch' I would pull it right off the ridge. In the
end I decided he was not a qualified belay and it was not worth the risk, so
I took the Pathfinder photo from the lower roof at the eave, and returned
later to take additional photos.

However, I have researched it and there is no OSHA-approved way to access
the roof to put IN the anchor, right? And similarly the site assessment is
considered a temporary roof access, like doing a bid for re-roof, and it
doesn't make sense to put in roof anchors so we can take a Pathfinder photo.
So in those instances it is safer for me to use climbing gear and a
qualified belay rather than be unprotected on the roof if the pitch is steep
or icy. Also, you make a great point that dynamic 'climbing rope' is not the
best choice for roof work, but static line for a site assessment has proven
to be helpful.

Another clarification, I am the business owner, and when the roof work on a
site assessment requires safety gear (i.e. not an OSHA-approved scenario), I
do that roof work. I am allowed to take that risk as the business owner, but
it is also in my very best interest to do so safely.

Finally, I use an Absorbica in conjunction with my harness and rope (again,
climbing experience has helped me understand the concept of safety on a
roof). And I am still looking for a comfortable OSHA-approved harness that
has a front attachment point, so if anyone has suggestions I'd be
interested.

Rebecca Lundberg
CEO/President, Powerfully Green
Champlin, Minnesota