[RE-wrenches] Grid-tie Sunny Island

Philip Boutelle philboutelle at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 00:07:15 PDT 2010

Kirpal and Wrenches,

Can you describe your battery setup with the four Sunny Islands? SMA
recommends using two parallel 1/0 conductors to each SI DC disconnect, for
three reasons: wire fill limitations with the 1.5" knockouts they provide,
ease of landing in the breaker, and because the 125A breaker is
double-barreled and rated for 125A on each leg with the current flow not
necessarily symmetric, so you need a rating of approx. 200A on the parallel
conductors (I'm quoting Martin and Antonio at SMA here, this detail is not
in the manual but what they recommended to me as best practice. The manual
at one point lists "2 x 1AWG" for the DC connections, nothing further).

With four SIs, that's eight positive and eight negative 1/0 conductors to be
bussed from the battery bank, or at least to the SIs. I have a similar
project coming up and am looking at a custom fuse/bus block from Deltec
<http://www.deltecco.com/>to arrange/distribute those wires, but would love
to hear other ideas and experiences on how to go from a single string of 48V
batteries, through a fused DC disconnect, and then land in the 4 SIs.

The fused DC disconnect is also an issue; with 20kW of rated continuous
power at a worst-case of 41V (numbers from the spec sheets), that's 487A
*1.25 = 610A. I could break that up into four parallel conductors, enabling
me to use a 4-pole 200A disconnect w/ 175A fuses (space is an issue on the
mechanical wall). But do I need to pass the DC conductors through two
switches on the disconnect to maintain the DC rating on the switch? And if
so, should I instead use a 4-pole 400A disco with 350A fuses and double
pass-through on the two positive conductors connecting to the battery bank?
Or.... ?

Phil Boutelle

Project Engineer
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer TM