[RE-wrenches] low cost DAS systems

Peter Parrish peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Tue Apr 13 12:16:11 PDT 2010

I am joining this thread a little late, so I may have missed a bifurcation
into a related area.

We have need for a DAS system that does the following:

(1) Monitors inverter output, including some bigger commercial sized
inverters from Satcon and SMA (100 kW to 500 kW)
(2) Monitors utility input at service panel
(2) Monitors several loads (up to five) via the service panel
(3) Irradiance and temperature would be great but not absolutely necessary
(4) Some sort of alarm system that would trigger at a programmable kW
threshold for the utility input.

What we are trying to do is monitor not only the PV system but the utility
demand and key loads as well, and to come up with a strategy for shedding
load to keep the demand below a certain amount.

I know this is a fairly tough spec, and we may have to do some customization
and/or programming to get what we want.

- Peter

Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D., President
California Solar Engineering, Inc.
820 Cynthia Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90065
CA Lic. 854779, NABCEP Cert. 031806-26
peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Ph 323-258-8883, Mobile 323-839-6108, Fax 323-258-8885