[RE-wrenches] sources of DC equipment

Dan Fink danbob at hughes.net
Sun Apr 11 08:47:23 PDT 2010

Daryl --

If anything, DC equipment has gotten much tougher to find over the last
few years. And for the price of a solid-state 12v - 24v - 48v DC-DC
converter, you could buy the nice little Morningstar 300W inverter!

Maybe there's a better company making DC CFLs now, but we had to stop
carrying them -- we used to carry them in 12, 24, and 48v. Customers
would put them in existing portable fixtures which were wired with lamp
cord to a DC outlet, and they would overheat and burn out quickly from
low voltage. Our return rate was nearly 50%.

There are some reputable DC LED lighting companies out there now.
Contact me off list and i can refer you to some. I personally don't like
LEDs for room lighting, but they are fine for task lighting. The good
ones nowadays have internal regulation, and work on DC voltages of
10-60v, with no switch setting needed.

Note that NONE of the LED products out there are more efficient than
CFLs, so keep that in mind.

You can't go wrong with ShurFlo DC diaphragm pumps for the price;
available in 12, 24, 48 and 120 v. I use one to lift from my spring to
the cistern, then a second one to pressurize the system. 2088 series are
what i have and recommend to most clients who are on a budget.

Personally -- from experience -- I'd get the little morningstar
inverter. It will save you far more than it's cost, just in the
exorbitant prices of DC lighting and DC appliances.

DAN FINK
Buckville Energy Consulting LLC