[RE-wrenches] DC wire sizing

Bill Hoffer sunengser at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 10:31:01 PDT 2010

Ray

I think that the point is not the cost, but what is good electrical design!

Voltage Drop in a wire is still undesirable and equates to an unneeded
"heat" load on the wire.  Are we advocating that if your water pipe is too
small just increase the pressure so you get the same output you desired.
Sure as long as you are well within the operational limits of what the pipe
was designed to do (over the lifetime expectancy of the product).  Maybe for
a short period of time that is fine, but we are talking about a system that
we want to perform for 25+ years.  I am sure we have all seen 25+ year old
wiring in a house that has become brittle due to operating right at the
limit, not enough to pop the breaker, but enough over a long period of time
to deteriorate the copper.  Heat is not our friend.

The worse use of solar electricity is for heating, and I really do not want
to install extra PV just to heat my wire.  Nobody said that good electrical
design was cheap!  I will continue to design my voltage drop at 1.5% and as
always attempt to meet that goal as inexpensively as possible.  NEC is a
minimum we need to meet and is not necessarily the best electrical design
practice!  When we are talking about Mega-watt commercial installations, It
would be pretty silly to have a system shut down (ie lost production = lost
investment money) because of saving some money on wire.

Bill Hoffer PE
Sunergy Engineering Services PLLC