[RE-wrenches] DC wire sizing

Bob-O Schultze bob-o at electronconnection.com
Thu Apr 8 15:28:46 PDT 2010

Guys,
Is it just me being dense or are none of you folks advocating for higher VD looking at the savings over time?
If we assume that Kent's wire costs are correct (and even assuming a 33% mark-up, he's paying WAY, WAY too much for wire) , the difference in delivered watts between #10 and # 4 wire in this situation is 91W. If I were installing this in Southern Oregon, which is pretty average as far as peak sun hours/day go, we'd be looking at 91 x 4.5 (peak sun hours) x 365days/yr x 25yrs = 3736 KW/H. Even at $0.10/KWH that's about $375 AT TODAY'S POWER RATES. Anyone think those rates are going to stay the same or go down over the next 25 years? Anybody think they won't go up by 5X? 10X? 20X?
So... for what and for whom are we designing these systems?
Bob-O