[RE-wrenches] DC wire sizing

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Mon Apr 5 12:22:02 PDT 2010

I think the 100% rating exception is an interpretation issue. I consider the assembly to be defined as the breaker mounted in its listed enclosure.
I agree that the AFIs would add cost, but they might actually offer some protection too. (possibly one AFI unit could offer protection for multiple circuits?)
I've never had a PV circuit breaker actually trip, except some nuisance tripping due to faulty breakers.
PV breakers seem to only offer protection for very limited situations ie, a short in a PV wire being backfed by enough other PV circuits to trip the breaker.
It could happen, but I've never actually seen it. Even completely shattered modules still have enough internal resistance to limit the short circuit current to
a value below the breaker trip point.

Ray