[RE-wrenches] Utility Transformers (was Outback Grid Problems)

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 31 18:40:47 PDT 2010

Ray,

I think Daryl is on to something. I would suspect a line problem
(under-sized feeder, bad connections, failing transformer, trees rubbing
wire, someone else on the feeder with noisy or large intermittent loads,
etc.). Utility transformers can degrade for a long time before they fail. In
similar cases I called in a trouble report but did not tell the utility
about RE system so they wouldn't blame the customer's equipment. Instead, I
told the utility that my customer's computer or tv was acting like (high or
low voltage or whatever) was on the line so I put my voltmeter on the line
and measured (low or high) voltage and would they please check out the
feeder circuit and transformer. Almost every time the field workers found a
line problem, repaired it and the customer's problems cleared up. It's worth
the call.

Joel Davidson