[RE-wrenches] Kohler Generator Issues

Brian Teitelbaum bteitelbaum at aeesolar.com
Tue Mar 30 13:20:44 PDT 2010

Hi boB,

The issue is whether the generator is rated for use as "prime power" or rated as "back-up power". Prime power units will get considerably more run-time hours on them then generators used in back-up. At least that is what the generator manufacturers think.

Once upon a time it didn't matter. The engines were heavy cast iron, and running at slow speeds, usually 1800RPM, but sometimes as low as 1200RPM, and lasted for thousands of hours of run time. As the manufacturers switched to cheaper aluminum engines running at 3600, the amount of hours before a major rebuild was required decreased. Honda, and others, were able to bring aluminum engines back up to fairly long life-spans, but they are still not as rugged as those old hunks of iron. Emission regulations further destroyed the old iron engines, unless you get one big enough to have 4-cylinders.

There is no reason, other than cost, for Kohler to not make a 4-cylinder, cast iron, 1800RPM, prime-power unit, but maybe they feel that there just isn't enough of a market for them to build it. I think that they are wrong, but I don't know the true numbers.

The real problem is that the generator manufacturers don't understand how off-grid systems work these days. 20 years ago, you could expect an off-grid generator to rack up considerable hours in a short time. These days, we get PV to do that, and the genny is just used for back-up. If the system is designed properly, the genny should get minimal hours per year, and the manufacturer should be able to warranty them. They need to be educated.

Brian Teitelbaum
AEE Solar