[RE-wrenches] NABCEP Exam was: PV excellent battery charger

Bob-O Schultze bob-o at electronconnection.com
Sun Mar 28 09:18:53 PDT 2010

Folks,
While none of us obviously has access to the wording of the specific question itself, I can assure you that there are no "tricky" or non-sensical questions on ANY of the NABCEP exams. Our Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) who come up with the questions AND the answers aren't a bunch of nerds in a university somewhere, they are us; working wrenches like ourselves. All the questions and answered are submitted to a round table discussion of the SMEs to be accepted, modified to be made clearer, or thrown out. At the same time, they are reviewed by a professional testing expert for clarity, readability, and correct usage of the language. Of the four answer choices, there are almost always two which are dead wrong, one which could be arrived at if you didn't follow all the steps of the question or didn't exactly know the material, and the correct answer. If you think all that is easy to do, try it sometime.
After the test is taken, the testing expert analyses the raw data and the SMEs review any items which seem questionable. For example, if most of the test takers INCLUDING those who did very well on the test otherwise missed a certain question, they take a hard look at it to see if there is ambiguity or if it can be interpreted differently from the way it was intended. It does happen that in spite of all the work put into developing the question, it is flawed in some way. When that happens, the question is discarded and all the test takers in that round get credit for it.
As to putting together a study guide, that's even harder. Remember that it's a "Guide", not a book like the NEC wherein lie all the answers to the questions. The Entry Level test is not a snap by any means, but it is basic in nature to our field and there are no questions on it that an installer would have to face, IE, anything to do with the NEC. The Installer Certification test is difficult, as it should be. Unless you know our trade inside and out PLUS have done some study in the areas which you don't do at all or very often (we all have those), you will have difficulty in achieving a passing score. I know many good Wrenches who missed it at least the first time. Some of those just say, "Screw it, I don't need this shit". Others have challenged themselves to hit the books again and brush up on the areas they found out (from taking the test the first time) where they were weak and nailed it on the next round. Everyone I've ever talked to, including myself, has said that they are a better craftsperson for having taken and passed the test.
Bob-O