[RE-wrenches] rebar v/s fiber

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Sat Mar 13 13:26:21 PST 2010

Actually my read of 2008 code should allow the pole to qualify as the grounding electrode:
690.47 (D) allows the mounting structure to be the electrode if it meets  250.52.
250.52(A.7) plate electrode says you need at least 2 sq. ft of 1/4" steel plate.
A 6" diam pipe 4 ft in the ground, will have 6.8 sq. ft of surface area......
A 4" diam pole will have 4.7 sq ft of surface area.....
Anybody see a flaw in this logic?

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer