[RE-wrenches] Generators and Grid-tie Systems

Nick Soleil nicksoleilsolar at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 1 19:10:40 PST 2010

Hi folks:
    (Eric, by 'directly to the utility grid' I do mean with a breaker)
   Jason and  Allen, I agree with what you are saying, in theory, but in practice, it is not always possible.  I am installing a generator in a couple of weeks for a customer with an existing 9 KW array.   The property's main service is located at a separate building from the house, loads, and solar.  The main panel feeds 200 Amps to the main residence and 200 Amps to a barn building (300 ft away)  The barn building has the array at it, and also the well pump, which needs to be backed up by the generator.  This requires us to either dig a 300' trench or just leave the system in auto.  We will be utilizing a 200A Automatic Transfer Switch, but we will not be able to place the generator into Auto mode.  The customer understands the situation, and said that he would leave the genny in 'manual' start mode.  I feed good about the situation, will disable the auto-start system, and will provide competent labelling.

 Nick Soleil
Project Manager
Advanced Alternative Energy Solutions, LLC
PO Box 657
Petaluma, CA 94953
Cell:   707-321-2937
Office: 707-789-9537