[RE-wrenches] Golf balls and PV (was Need NT185U1 Sharp module)

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 25 07:51:05 PST 2010

Wrenches,

UL1703 requires solar modules withstand a 5 ft-lb (6.78 J) impact from a
2-in (51-mm) steel ball weighing 1.18 lb (535 g) falling through a distance
of 51 in (1.295 m). Many years ago someone (perhaps at Arco Solar in the
early 1980s?) said that this force was equal to a golf ball or a 1-in steel
ball traveling at terminal velocity or 54 miles per hour. Since then, I have
seen modules broken by thrown stones, stones dropped by crows (go figure?),
falling ice, hail, bullets, branches, school locker combination locks,
reported meteorites, etc. I have also seen modules withstand hurricanes,
stones, hail, ice, branches, etc.

Max's broken module has me questioning just how strong are tempered glass
modules. Granted, a driven golf ball has a greater impact than a lobbed
ball, but is it unusual for a golf ball to break a solar module or is it a
pretty sure thing? The reason I ask is because more resorts and people with
homes near golf courses are interested in PV.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Joel Davidson