[RE-wrenches] Best Choice for PV in hot climates

Peter Parrish peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Sat Feb 20 16:48:55 PST 2010

Since most of our business is in the LA basin, we don't often have to
consider optimizing a PV system design in high temperature regions. We are
looking at a fairly big (100-200 kW) commercial ground mount in the El
Centro / Calexico area (ZIP 92231). The avg high in July is 107 deg F with
record highs in the 122 deg F range. Record low is 18 deg F.

I have some anecdotal information that thin film modules (e.g. First Solar)
provide the greatest bang for the buck kWh/yr/P, where P=installed cost per
kW. Are their any independent studies out there to support this?

- Peter

Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D., President
California Solar Engineering, Inc.
820 Cynthia Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90065
CA Lic. 854779, NABCEP Cert. 031806-26
peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Ph 323-258-8883, Mobile 323-839-6108, Fax 323-258-8885