[RE-wrenches] Refractometer vs Hydrometer?

dave at independentpowerllc.com dave at independentpowerllc.com
Sat Feb 13 09:14:15 PST 2010

Dan,
You are on the right track. I've been off the Desulphators for years because I had so many systems without them that were lasting years longer than predicted between battery swap outs. I don't know about refractometer vs hydrometer. I use and trust a "glass in glass" hydrometer.

Are these bats Trojan L-16's?
4 strings of L-16's @ 48v seems like (32) bats. Is that correct. That doesn't sound right.

In general. Battery Charge rates of between C-10 to C-20 for PV. And with an engine generator C-8 to C-12. Limit parallel strings to two (three at most in rare cases). All battery charging needs good control, proper settings, temperature comp, and somebody who understands how it all works to teach the homeowner and be there to answer questions.

We teach the proper use of the hydrometer as a tool that confirms actual battery condition. We strongly recommend that batteries are fully recharged at least every week to ten days. Fully recharged means (for me) that the voltage has gotten up to 59 volts (48v system) and stayed there for a minimum of two hours (confirm effectiveness of time and battery charge level with TriMetric meter amp function here, should have tapered down below 12 amps on a typical 48v battery bank with voltage still at absorb level (59), can confirm more definitively with a hydrometer here). Of course individual systems, and battery types, vary. Properly programmed, and understood, TriMetric monitoring is very useful here. Use hydrometer to check on how this is all working out for the system. Frequency of hydrometer use varies with owner's experience level and system age. Check for all cells to be charged and within 15 basis points, highest to lowest, to be confirmed as fully charged.

I find that a TriMetric monitor helps with the teaching and troubleshooting process. Different end users understand it and learn how to use it with varying degrees of success. Helps in a high percentage of our off-grid systems.

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T