[RE-wrenches] kW/MW v. kWh/MWh

Ian Woofenden ian.woofenden at homepower.com
Tue Jan 19 07:43:42 PST 2010

This is one of my pet peeves too...

A few snippets and observations from my frequently given electrical
terms presentation:

If I asked you "How far is it to Vancouver?" and you answered "45
miles per hour," everyone listening would know that someone was
confused. But we tolerate and even perpetuate this kind of confusion
daily with the terms "watt" and "watt-hour", which are directly
comparable to miles per hour and miles (NOT the reverse). The terms
themselves are very confusing, since a watt (which might sound like a
quantity/unit) is shorthand for "joule per second," the rate of
energy generation, transfer, or use, while a watt-hour is a unit of
energy (even though it might remind some people of "miles per hour",
with "hour" in it).

I'm amazed when some long-time RE folks say things like, "Oh, it
doesn't matter..." when they say "kilowatt" when they mean
"kilowatt-hour". This sort of ignorance and brush-off just makes our
job of energy education harder.

I've begun to teach watts and watt-hours FIRST in my presentations,
instead of the more common order of volts, amps, amp-hours, watts,
and watt-hours. Watts and watt-hours are the most important measures
and the most important distinction, and if I lose students after
that, it's better than losing them before understanding these crucial
terms.

For the general public, I completely downplay amps and amp-hours,
which are really an internal measurement perhaps analogous to
something like cylinder displacement in an engine, in a world where
people want to know fuel economy and speed. If I ran the circus, we'd
rate batteries in watt-hours, have watts and watt-hours on every
consumer RE system gauge, and leave amps and amp-hours to the geeks
who need them (for wire sizing, for example).

And going down that road a bit, one of the most helpful moments of
understanding for me was when years ago my guru Bill Beaty said that
"two things flow in electrical circuits -- charges and energy". Amps
and amp-hours describe charge flow and quantity, while watts and
watt-hours describe energy flow and quantity.

Of course, as others have noted, we can talk about generating or
storage sources in terms of their power (kW) or energy (kWh)
capacity, but there is such confusion about the terms, it's better to
be redundantly clear about what we mean, and make sure we're accurate.

Encouraging electrical terminology literacy, one wrench and newbie at
a time, ;-)

Ian

--
Ian Woofenden <ian.woofenden at homepower.com>, Senior Editor, Home Power magazine