[RE-wrenches] enphase and racks

William Dorsett wmdorsett at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 15 20:17:43 PST 2010

Erika, recently I installed some Enphase on a Unirac Solarmount frame, one of the frames approved by Enphase. Enphase recommends that there be a one inch space between the back of the module and the inverter. The mounting plate is offset from the center of the inverter so it projects up into the back of the module, in my case 215 watt REC's. This left the spacing about 3/4". Enphase didn't think it would be a problem, but I'm mildly concerned with heat's effect on the longevity of the electrolytic capacitors. Composition roofs in Kansas can become very hot in August. At this point, I think they have a great product, but Enphase is either very confident or a little cavolier. There are quite a few modules which don't have depth in their frame that REC's have and it could be more of a concern for them.
So on the next install, I used the side rail track more typically used for bolting onto tilt legs or standoffs. This put the inverters perpendicular to the module and allowed a lot more air space for cooling. If you have splice plates in the length of your rails, it means that you need to slide the bolts into place before assembling the rails.

Bill Dorsett
SunwrightS
1715 Leavenworth
Manhattan, KS 66502
Home/Office 785/539=1956
Cell 785/564-2583
wmdorsett at sbcglobal.net

See Amory Lovins July 08 on Charlie Rose
http://www.charlierose.com/guests/amory-lovins