[RE-wrenches] discharging Rolls batteries

Hugh hugh at scoraigwind.co.uk
Thu Jan 14 14:35:37 PST 2010

Hi Jamie and Dan,

Thanks for keeping up this thread!  And sorry for being impatient.

Now, if the capacity 'loss' is simply due to reduced performance, is
it logical to say that one can push the battery to lower voltages
under low temperature conditions without actually cycling it harder
or reducign its life that way?

On the question of inverter temperature compensation for discharge
set points, these would surely be adjusted downward in low
temperatures whereas the charging setpoints are adjusted upwards.  I
had never heard of such adjustment to discharge setpoints (low
battery disconnect, genstart, etc).  I would be interested to know if
this type of temperature compensation exists and indeed whether it is
legitimate in terms of sustainable battery management.

Hugh

--
Hugh Piggott

Scoraig Wind Electric