[RE-wrenches] discharging Rolls batteries

Hugh hugh at scoraigwind.co.uk
Thu Jan 14 08:49:04 PST 2010

Thanks, Bruce,

I have lived with batteries for thirty years so I do know some of the
basic things but for most of that time I used secondhand batteries.
The last couple of years using expensive new ones I find that they
often perform less well.  I would like to tap into the enormous
experience of this forum to calibrate some of my assumptions.

I got a nice speedy and informative reply to my first post but when I
asked too many questions in the second one it produced a lot less
information.  Maybe I need to go straight to Rolls tech support for
discharge curves at lower temperatures and lower currents.

I do have one more question for any wrench who programs 'genstart'
voltages on Outbacks and the like.  At what battery volts do you
start the generator for a system with a large battery and small
loads, in the winter?

I would habitually use about 23.5 or 47 volts as a discharge limit
voltage (time delayed).  However I am finding that from full charge
at a temperature around 5 degrees C, I am getting under 25% of the
battery capacity using this rule.  I this what I have to accept?  Is
the capacity that much reduced by temperature?  Will I reduce the
life expectancy and invalidate the warranty if I discharge it to
23/46 volts instead?

I wonder why there is no temperature compensation on low battery
voltage settings like there is on charging set points.  Do I just
have to use the generator much more?

There I go asking too many questions again.  I do have a few more
that I will save for now.  Thanks for any more comments.

best wishes

Hugh

--
Hugh Piggott