[RE-wrenches] Solar accumulation panel

Drake Chamberlin drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Wed Jan 13 09:53:17 PST 2010

Here is a wild idea.  If you  look at the Enphase inverter systems,
several inverters connect together in parallel before going to an
overcurrent device.

In all cases, the point of connection to a utility system must be at
a dedicated breaker.  If there were multiple string inverters that
would connect to one breaker, why not just use a junction box,
instead of a combiner panel?  You could put in an AC disconnect for
each inverter, if it didn't come with one.

The wiring would need to be sized for the combined output of the
multiple inverters, which in many cases wouldn't be an issue.

Drake

At 12:36 AM 1/13/2010, you wrote:

>Andrew,
>
>It does not exist. We tried like crazy to get it into the 2011 NEC,
>but to no avail. At the last second the proposal was put on hold
>until the 2014 NEC. Major bummer. For now it can only be done with
>AHJ approval. Many allow it but it is not in the NEC. Alternatively
>you must use the sum of supply breakers no greater than 120%. Much
>more restrictive.
>
>Bill.

Drake Chamberlin
Athens Electric