[RE-wrenches] Square D DC disconnects

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 11 16:43:44 PST 2010

David,

The state by the Eaton guy at SPI shows that person's lack of understanding.
The person I talked to was adamant that all disconnects had to be tested to
the disconnect standard that assumes a high (10,000-amp) current source
behind any fault. Switch openings are also tested based on the inductance in
the circuit since that has a major impact on the size and duration of the
arc-especially in ac systems.

Square D did an evaluation based on the limited fault currents and
inductance in PV system circuit that has no batteries. I believe their
evaluation is valid. The issue is that there is no specific test at UL
yet-that's why UL did not list it (I'm pretty sure they were involved at
some level, but that is impossible to prove). It will probably be added to
UL1741. Perhaps that was what the Eaton rep was referring-we'll give him the
benefit of the doubt.

I still use my basic rule similar to the rule for politicians-how do you
know if a marketing guy is lying?== his lips are moving.

Bill.