[RE-wrenches] High amp charge to desulphate

Ron Young solareagle at solareagle.com
Sun Jan 10 13:52:48 PST 2010

I have just acquired a 24v set of 1400a/h 2v cells that have been in
storage without a charge for several years. They were connected up in
a system that was never turned on (long story). I believe these
batteries can be recovered if I can get a high enough amp charge into
them. The battery mfg. recommends putting a 200 amp charge on until
internal temp rises to 40 degrees C then let them cool and do it
again, maybe 15 times, to blow the sulphates of the plates.
Unfortunately I don't have a 200 amp charger but I do have an Outback
3524 inverter with an 85 amp charger. I'm wondering if I can force the
inverter to maximum charge to accomplish this.

I hooked the inverter up but the batteries only have about 10.5 v
output from the batteries (hooked up 12 in series for 24v). For this
reason the Outback won't power up. I am wondering about using a
standalone charger to provide power to the batteries -- which will
also provide power to the inverter -- and allow it to come on and
charge.

Anyone suggest a better way?

Ron Young