[RE-wrenches] Power Factor and Grid Tied PV

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 7 07:41:56 PST 2010

We worked on dozens of commercial PV systems in Southern California Edison
(SCE), Los Angeles Department of Water & Power (LADWP), and San Diego Gas &
Electric (SDG&E) territories. We installed Xantrex, SMA, and SatCon
inverters and measured power factor on both the grid and the inverters. In
every case, inverter power factor was 1. In almost every case LADWP's power
factor was less than 1 and in older parts of Los Angeles power factor was
often 0.75. SCE and SDG&E generally has pretty good power factors. In
general, PV inverters do not worsen grid power factor. In general, newer
sections of the grid are better designed and better managed than older grid
sections. When utility companies or anyone says PV causes grid problems, ask
for proof.
Joel Davidson