[RE-wrenches] Water Pipes as Grounding Electrodes

Ryan LeBlanc ryan at naturalenergyworks.com
Wed Jan 6 22:54:48 PST 2010

Thanks guys,

Follow up:

When providing a three-line drawing, in New York, on a new construction, few
story building, which means they'll have a ground rod (hopefully) at the
Main cabinet, do you think it's necessary to detail any ground connections
from the solar to the water pipes?  No right?  (Unusual inspector)

They are totally different systems when there is a Grounding Electrode
present.  In modern construction practices, they are bonding the water pipes
only, not using the water pipes as any part of the grounding electrode
system and therefore don't come into play?

And then, If on top of this building, there was a Satcon inverter, on the
roof, and that Satcon was getting grounded to the structural, can I run just
one ground wire to the roof, or do I need to run a ground conductor and some
kind of bond wire?  And again, the water pipes are not involved here, at
all.

With appreciation,

Ryan J. LeBlanc
NABCEPT Certified Solar PV Installer