[RE-wrenches] cleaning modules

Tom DeBates habitek83 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 30 08:29:40 PST 2010

hello Wrenches,
  I recently purchased some used modules. Unfortunately, they were mounted near a railroad track and many have a film of rust on the front surface. I have tried a few products; Dawn, Simple Green, vinegar (5% acidity),  and Krud Kutter to safely remove the rust. So far the vinegar seems to be best when considering cost, disposal ,etc. But it still takes a good amount of time and "elbow grease". Today I will try CLR.  Has anyone else run into a similar situation? If so, what products and/or methods did you use to remove rust stains?
  Awhile back I had to remove some urethane caulk from the face of module and had to resort to a solvent-based chemical (acetone....yes, acetone) with disastrous results.....
thanks,
tom

Tom DeBates

Habi-Tek