[RE-wrenches] Battery Cable REvistied

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Mon Nov 29 08:57:38 PST 2010

HI All;

I have struggled for years to get the right battery cable; in the old, old days we used welding cable, which was better than THHN, but not with the AHJs.
Then we used a SAE battery cable with 532 strands that was ideal, but not UL listed.
Next we used Cobra X flex, but at over 2000 strands, we had the problem it wasn't rated for some of the mechanical lugs and breakers.  (too fine a stranding)

Now I've found what I think is the perfect cable: Cobra Cop Flex, class I. http://cobrawire.com/copflex/class_i.php
It's UL listed RHH, RHW , but is coarser stranded 532 strands, but not as coarse as standard THHN (19 strands).

What do you guys think? RHH, RHW meets the code, with the coarser stranding not being a problem with regular lugs, but still way more flexible than THHN.
We're saved right?

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer