[RE-wrenches] Strawbale wall penetration

benn kilburn benn at daystarsolar.ca
Fri Nov 19 11:05:44 PST 2010

Wrenches, Short of contacting the builder, i'm looking for your experiences, practices and "look-out's" for penetrating a strawbale exterior wall with conduit.
For the project in question there is currently a teck cable from a wind gen entering the home by sharing a HRV vent opening that i want to fix (not my original system by the way) and i will also be adding another penetration for a PV array that i am relocating on the property. The original penetration for the PV was done properly but its not in an ideal location for the re-located array wiring.
I'm wondering if it is as simple as using a hole saw extension to go thru the ~16" wall and use an LB/box on either side.  I'm sure there is some framework and/or rebar supporting the bales, how do you locate/avoid these when there are no corners to measure from?  (it is a round home)  Any knowledge if PVC or EMT will react in anyway with the bales?  I'm thinking that PVC would be best....?
... i am trying to contact the builder to address this, and also to ask a few choice questions regarding the wiring methods (he?) used in the original PV system set-up.
Cheers,benn

DayStar Renewable Energy Inc. benn at daystarsolar.ca780-906-7807 HAVE A SUNNY DAY