[RE-wrenches] Water pumping query....

John Veix john at gosolar.co.nz
Tue Sep 28 11:54:13 PDT 2010

Hi all,

We have a customer that collects rainwater in two large tanks and uses grid power to feed it uphill 80M out and 10M up - then gravity feed it back to the house, which is located by the large collection tanks.  There is a float switch in the uphill tank to shut the grid pump off, via a relay.  Our grid power here is 230v ac. and the customer has frequent power cuts.

The customer has purchased an appropriate 12v dc pump, battery and PV from us. However the customer still wants to have the option of using grid with the reliability of dc pump backup.

What we would like to do is utilize the existing float switch for both pumps rather than them adding another float switch and 80M of extra cable just for the dc pump.

Can anyone see an easy way to achieve this without adding too much extra expense?

                            thanks for any collective wisdom - John Veix - N.Z.