[RE-wrenches] Interconnection downstream of ATS

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Sun Sep 26 12:31:51 PDT 2010

Folks,

I am looking at doing a standard grid-dependent PV installation. The only
catch is that the whole house is backed up by a generator with automatic
tranfer switch.

Due to the layout of the various equipment, it would be a whole lot easier
to interconnect the PV at a point downstream of the ATS. Because the ATS
takes a minute or so to bring the generator up and transfer, the inverter
would drop out when the line is lost. If I had a contactor on inverter
output, with the coil held by line voltage and a reset switch, I could set
it up so that the inverter output would be isolated from the generator upon
line voltage loss, and manually reset once utility line voltage was
restored.

I am wondering about the following 4 considerations:

1 - Code / AHJ acceptablity: Does the Code address the issue of load side
connection downstream of an ATS?
2 - Utility (PG&E) acceptability: I don't see how the utility would care.
3 - Inverter manufacturer acceptability: The manufacturer might not warrant
this application unless they were confortable that the inverter never sees
generator voltage.
4 - Functional efficacy: Owner would have to reset inverters manually.

Has anyone worked throught this scenario?

Mark Frye
Berkeley Solar Electric Systems
303 Redbud Way
Nevada City,  CA 95959