[RE-wrenches] fewer wires, mo bettah?

Marco Mangelsdorf marco at pvthawaii.com
Mon Sep 20 11:08:06 PDT 2010

Check this out.

Four series strings of mods on a same plane roof feeding a larger Sunny Boy
or Fronius inverter.

Four #10 conductors for the ungrounded, fused (at the inverter) conductors.
And for the grounded conductor, a single, common, larger conductor from
those four strings.

So instead of four pairs of wires, or eight total, I'm using just five (plus
ground).

Assuming that the larger grounded conductor is adequately sized taking into
account conduit fill and temp derate for exposed conduit, does anyone see a
problem in doing this?

I've already been doing this for several years with no problems that I can
tell.  But it occurred to me whether different resistances between the
ungrounded conductors and the grounded conductor might be an issue.

Feedback appreciated.

Thanks,

marco